CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Juno

I've just seen Juno.
And it was a fantastic film! Maybe I should say that I prefer the word "film" to "movie", as I feel that the latter suggests merely mindless entertainment. While films are smart, emotional, beautiful, or otherwise worthwhile. It wasn't perfect, it had a certain rough edge: on every side. But it was good.
I've just finished bawling in my kitchen.
And I don't know why. I'm not the type to cry at just any sappy scene, No, it's the surprising moments that claim my tears. Like the Tim Hortons commercial with the Chinese father and son, where the father disapproves of hockey, but secretly shows up to every game. That commercial does the trick.
Tonight it was the delivery scene in Juno and the moments after, as she just cries; my tears came, and the shakes, and I couldn't tell you why. Even now, and 10 minutes ago, I'm crying. I'm deeply, deeply sad or moved or called or lonely. I'm not sure how to title the emotion. I don't know what it is. It's just an ache with tears.
Watch Juno, it's good, really good. You probably won't cry, the film is clever and light, but it's the heaviest light to me right now. And I want to understand just why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just an idea... Imagine mentoring pregnant teens, delivering their babies, and continuing some mentoring afterwards. Interesting ministry. Not easy.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Kim Hughes,

Greetings!

We knew about your website from World Team.

We are graduating students taking up Bachelor of Science in Tourism at the Asian Institute of Tourism - University of the Philippines. As part of our course requirements, we are conducting an undergraduate thesis entitled “Christian Missionaries’ Perception of the Philippines Before and After Their Mission Trip.”

In line with this, we would like to ask you to answer a survey. We would like to send the links through email. May we have your email address?

Thank you so much! GOd bless!

In Christ,
Eunice Tanquintic
Laila Titular
bluenred_17@yahoo.com