CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 29, 2007

Meet Florencia...


Meet Florencia Magbuhos. A 98-year-old Filipina hilot (hee-loht: a traditional birth attendant). This precious women spent more than 60 years delivering the babies of this small island, and has stories from WWII when she seriously delivered babies while hiding in tall grasses as the villagers were running from the Japanese!
We visited Florencia in her home up in the hills, where she is surrounded by 13 children who have since "gone forth and multiplied" so that she has more than 100 grand and great-grand babies! Meeting this woman is such a privilege, not only is she perhaps the oldest person I have ever met, she is the oldest midwife I will likely ever know.

A certificate from a training program Florencia took in the '80s.

Florencia sees herself in digital form.

A legend of our calling!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

that is so cool that you were able to met her. What a beautiful woman. 98 years old, how amazing. See what having to much stuff and stress do to us. Most of us will never see that age. I especially love the picture of all you girls with her. I love to see what the village looks like. I would love to come visit.

Suzette said...

awesome!

Anonymous said...

she does seem like a amazing beautiful woman, her stories must be amazing!! miss you, talk to you in a few weeks!

Kayte

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog and am wondering if you could tell me about how the Mercy in Action Midwifery school works. I've heard different stories and can't figure out what's true. I'm hoping since you are very close to the program (in it) that you could tell me!

Do you have to spend 1/2 a year in Boise and then 1/2 a year in the Philippines in order to be able to get all the NARM requirements in? Or is the whole program done in the Philippines for 1 year? What part does Boise play in the program?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Kama - working towards becoming a missionary midwife with a pilot husband

Desiree said...

What an amazing opportunity! I love to hear of all your stories during this time.