CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Meeting the White Hairs

Yesterday was a mildly stressful day as I was forced to realized my wonderfully plotted idea of bussing the kids to the Old Folks home was slightly flawed. Yes, at -30 something, busses don't really like to start. Faced with this fact in the early morning, I spent my day planning an alternative Service Project, just incase when we tried to fire the bus, (an hour before Youth began), if it wouldn't run, we would atleast not be scrambling!
And in a demonstration of my self-sufficiency, I went about all day madly planning the "in-case event", and didn't spend a moment in prayer about it! Seriously, what was I thinking? When it finally hit me, late afternoon, I sorted things out and asked God to intervene as He would will. And when they tried the bus a half hour later, she purred. Much to my delight!
So we went on to Wildrose Manor, piled off the bus and headed in to greet a snowy haired crowd. A smallish crowd I should say. And our kids picked up boxes and spread out, finding interested parties and setting up games of Scrabble, Monopoly and SkipBo. And the games went on for more than an hour, stories were told, and us young-uns generally got beat pretty good! At the end of the night we pulled out song sheets and enjoyed some hymns together, made our goodbyes and ducked out.
They loved us! And from all the reviews and anecdotes I've gathered - we loved them! I saw those kids come alive, even the crew who can usually be rowdy, or fearful of boredom, were attentive and kind. There wasn't a single issue of discipline, no warnings given. No better visit to an Old Folks home has ever happened in the history of Youth Groups! (Maybe that's a bit self-important!) It was awesome to watch! We were invited to come back anytime, and as far our teens are concerned - That'd be great!

1 comments:

middie said...

yeah for old people