CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 07, 2007

She's So High

Last night I felt so alive!
Yay for me right? Ha. Cebu's not that big a city, a couple million people maybe. But last night was the first time in months that I got out of the city, if even for just a few hours! And wow, did I enjoy the fresh air, dirt roads, a walk in the dark, sitting by the sea, and the open-air mini bus that got us there. Simple pleasures.
Around Cebu my usual mode of transport is a taxi, the only direct way to get anywhere. Occasionally, I will take a jeepney, but not too often, not like I did in Manila. But last night my roomie, a co-friend and I hopped an open-air mini bus and headed South to where a friend of ours lives. (Side note: jeepneys and buses are the normal transport here, they're what people take day in day out, this was not meant to be an adventure!)
And as we sailed down the main highway, dodging all the other motor and pedestrian traffic, music blaring so loud my ears hurt, and the wind whipping my hair around my face - I had an amazing time! It was a highlight moment.
I've taken buses before, here in the Phils, and in other Asian countries, sometimes I've enjoyed them, sometimes I've hated them. The ride wasn't new. But somehow it was a moment of feeling really present, it was an excitement and high that I haven't had a lot of this year.
I realize that most of life is just life, sometimes happy, sometimes sad, sometimes it just is. I don't think life is about high experiences, or that it's all adventure. But I'll take as much adventure as will come! Last night, being on the move, with the wind all around, and the speed. The feeling of freedom (although I was squished with my knees in the seat in front and my friend pressed against me), that feeling was a high.
I'm sure everyone else on that bus was just waiting to get to their stop. Just waiting to get home, and a bus ride was just the necessary means to an end. It is probably just daily routine. But last night I had a great bus ride! It was blissful. I love the open road, I love the windows down, I love good music. And I guess that a busy highway, no windows and loud music is close enough to fill those loves!

1 comments:

Chantal said...

I'm both happy for you and shocked that you managed to enjoy a phil. bus ride!
Was it one of those seats thirty but they squish in 75 kind of rides?