CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Musings on Christmas - Part One

Last night I did something that will make most of you roll your eyes or even groan in disgust:
...I pulled out a Christmas movie. Have you ever seen The Polar Express? The movie came out a couple years ago, but the book, the book was a favourite of mine as a kid. I remember its hard cover, and the beautiful illustrations, and the smell of the book (you know that books have smells right?). It is a beautiful book, and its one I remember well.
But, The Polar Express is really besides the point.
What it started in me was a need for the REAL Christmas story. (You can only handle so much of people extoling "the Spirit of Christmas", "and just believe", and la-dee-freaken happy-shmansey Santa-ness.) So I pulled out my Bible and pieced together the real deal from Matthew and Luke, starting with Zechariah and going on right through to the shepherds... Now that's a beautiful story!
Have you ever considered the Christmas story from the point of view of the two pregnant women? How rich, and how human it becomes. Now I suppose you may both wonder, "Why does Kim think she can understand a pregnant women?" and in the same thought "Well of course Kim would think about the pregnant women." And both thoughts I understand completely.
Here are these two women Elizabeth and Mary, at both ends of the spectrum, one too young, one too old, both unable to conceive - and both do. And both feel the growth and somersaults of one within them, one who has been announced by angels, who is chosen by God, who will fulfill ancient prophecy. And one who will be in fullness God, who will being salvation to the world! I just wonder about the prayers that must have come from the depths of these women's souls as they contemplated all that was going on within them and around them. Consider it. Can you imagine?
Last night I wondered about their spiritual lives, these were godly women, and I wonder how they communed with God. What was their trust like? Were they afraid of what might come? Did they ask God for strength and for courage? Did they spend their prayers praising His name and His plan? Did they fear what the world might say? What went on within them, where no one else could hear?
Consider that. And thank God that He sent His Son to a women too young and unmarried, and that he prepared the way for that Messiah by sending a messenger before Him.
...And stay tuned for more musings on this unlikely, but Heavenly Christmas tale.

3 comments:

Chantal said...

Hi gorgeous
I wasn't rolling my eyes, I've been planning a "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" for when my exams are done next week!
I can't wait to read part two.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for Christmas. We will have to start the music up soon. Love ya

Chantal said...

hey beautiful

what's wrong with a mac?