CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The Anti-Hero Gospel

"As Christians, when we start talking about simple obedience, there's a triggered-mechanism within us that pleads for the dramatic over the daily and begs for short-term heroics over the long-and-steady obedience that comes with taking the commands of Jesus seriously. I think it happens whenever we cry out, "I'd die for you," or, "I'll burn my CD's for you," or maybe something like, "I'll move to Antarctica and freeze to death for you, Jesus." When really, all God wants is for us to take him seriously where we're at and make his way a pattern of life."

A really neat article on Relevant today, check out The Anti-Hero Gospel. Like the author, the Superhero phenomenon hits home for me too. I may not be dreaming of saving the world from some alien invasion, (believe me), but I often feel this superman-complex about needing to solve the world's ills. When really Christ hasn't called me to save the world. I can't - and well He already did. He is calling me to be faithful, He is calling me to love the poor and forgotten. He isn't looking for a spandex outfit or web-throwing skills. Thank goodness - both scare me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or how about making a promise, and sticking to it.
Or giving 10% more...
Or saying "I love you anyways" when you don't feel loved.
Or waiting just one more day to see what God can do, even though it feels like time to give up.
Or giving up, even when it feels like you can go just one more day.
Or... The list can just keep going hey!

Thanx Kim

Jenn said...

Oh come on Kim I know how much you love your spandex outfits. But the web-trowing would be a little weird.

Kim said...

Jenn we made a rule - we don't talk about my spandex outfits! Shhh!

Anonymous said...

I now know too much...
I digress... whatever that means!