CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

They Know

The other night I transported a patient to the hospital, as I've done a few times through the months here. Each trip is a test of my language skills as I try to talk with our patients, the doctors and nurses, all in Bisaya. And thankfully this trip wasn't an emergency and the hospital staff were kind.
But no matter how many trips I take; to admit patients, or visit ones already there, I will never become immune to the shock of the place. Can you imagine an overfull, understaffed hospital, with paint peeling and floors crumbling. With cats and roaches running through, with blood on the floor. With a sign in the Pedia ward that says "Dengue Express Lane". With patients sharing beds, sharing diseases. This place is beyond imagination. But its all that is here, the only public hospital. It's what the people have.
So we arrived at the ER and then went on to the front desk, and back, and to the ward, and back, and to wait in the hall, and back. After an hour and half, the patients husband had bought all the necessary medicines and supplies at an outside pharmacy. And they were finally ready to be admitted. Time for me to go.
So I headed outside, and crossed the street to wait for a taxi to take me back to the clinic. The street was dark, but certainly not quiet, and I thought how strange it seemed to be there on that corner, across from that place, alone and at night. I wasn't worried, I never am, I don't feel in danger here. I don't think there's a time with less than a half dozen people watching me, and across form the hospital there was likely two or three times that!
As I'm waiting there is a constant flow of jeepneys passing by, urging me to board, and there's a lot of foot traffic even though it's late. As one man passes me he turns and tells me the name of my street. My address! And as I stare at him incredulously, he grins, says "I know", and walks on. There I am, a good 10-15 min drive from my place, and someone, some stranger knows where I live?? I expect than everyone in my neighbourhood knows where I live, as far as I know, I'm the only white person around. But standing on a street corner in the middle of the night, people know where I live! There are several million people in this city!
What I've decided is that he was probably a taxi driver I've had in the past. And harmless to boot, he certainly didn't do anything threatening. But what a strange feeling, I guess it's like Cheers, but instead of just a bar, its a whole city where "everybody knows my name".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - that happened to us when we were in Tanzania. Its kinda creepy and alittle scary at first eh?

Jeremy said...

creepy. i don't have that kind of foreign experience, but i've been travelling in Canada and people have said, "hey you're that guy that..." and have gone on to explain something i've been involved with in more detail than i remember. it's just odd.

Chantal said...

the hospitals there are so... i don't know what to call them. the provincial hopsital that i was in had a toilet right in the open, in the room where a baby had just been born, a women was dying of pneumonia, a four year old was recovery from an operation and other sick women. the only division this hospital had was between men and women, and even that was only old saloon style swinging wood doors.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who finds lots of creepy guys.

middie said...

hey, you are almost home to the frozen north...really it is frozen...seriously cold!