CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Irresistible Revolution

Have any of you read "The Irresistible Revolution"? I'm working on it, for the 2nd time, and it's kicking my butt, again! Maybe this time my life might be changed to the core. If not, I'll read it again!
The basis of the book is this:
Isn't there a whole lot more, perhaps a completely different "more" to the call of Christianity, than what the North American church is living and teaching? Are we not called to know and love and serve the poor, "to place them among the princes of our own people" (Psalm 111)? Was our Saviour not a homeless man, who didn't make friends with the good religious people, but sought out the "sinners" and the suffering? And if He knew and cared for the poor, and we claim we are following Him, shouldn't we know the poor? Did He not care for others imaginatively, curing blindness with a mud/spit paste, and zapping 5 loaves and 2 fish into enough for thousands? Did He not invite us into a new family, and way of being where global Christians are not like family, but are in fact our very brothers, sisters and mothers? Did not the early Church reject the way of the Roman world, sharing everything with each other, even fasting so that everyone might eat? Didn't Jesus say to "love our enemies", and wouldn't that mean we don't bomb them? Isn't there a big difference between giving to charities and actually knowing the poor? Didn't Jesus say that the world hated Him, so they would hate us too?
That's it, my synopsis of a 300-something page book, which is far more elloquent, far more butt-kicking and sure to wreck your life. Perhaps the Bible is already speaking these things to you, and you don't need another book to point out the things you've already heard. Or perhaps you are easily forgetful, and culturally stuck, and you can easily skip the "tough" words of Jesus. Perhaps you're like me.
So if you are, if you are wondering if you're missing something, if Christian faith is supposed to be more than what you're living right now. Then buy, borrow, whatever, get the book! And read it. And ask God to give you the courage to read and hear all the words of Christ, not just the ones that would our lives happier, easier, nicer. I don't think Jesus is in that business!

(The Irresistible Revolution, Shane Claiborne)

3 comments:

Chantal said...

I am reading the book right now too. Well sort of. I started reading it at the end of summer but since school has started I haven't had much of a chance. It is such a great book though, I can't wait to finish it.
I've passed it on to some friends and it tore them up.

Dani and Johnny Kennedy said...

The book sounds like something I want/need to read right now. Just what I read in your post spoke to me, it's right along the same lines as many conversations JOhnny and I have been having. I'm looking forward to the day I can buy it (when we get home) and read it. It's so scary to subject ourselves to this kind of writing, because you're right - it challenges us to live a life that doesn't promise comfort. But I'm ready.

Love you Kim.

barry-eh said...

So...because of you and another friend, I decided I needed to pick the book up. Quite the challenge! ...makes me want to leave the comfortable life I live. Will I step out of the boat? Thanks for sharing about this book.