CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 21, 2007

H-T-O, O-V-T-H

Another sweaty day has brought me to my internet home, a cafe called "Netopia," my daily stop to connect with you. I'm sure the man next to me wishes that I stopped for a shower before I ventured here, that is unfortunate for him...
Today we finished our vision screening project in the cemetary community and tomorrow we will finish up on the dumpsite. For the last 2 weeks I have been standing at a chalkboard, pointing out letters and hearing "H-T-O, O-V-T-H," and watching fingers point and little voices say "ta-ass", "baba"(sorry, that's my phonetical Tagalog!).
Children who have vision trouble or eye abnormalities will see a doctor on Friday, and then be given glasses or surgery as needed. But even though this testing and treatment is completely free it has been remarkably hard to round up children for the quick, (painless) test! Today in a final push we managed to see almost 40 kids, putting us at about 120 in this community.
Although I'm sure you know and understand that Manila is hot, you may wonder just why such a task as standing at a chalkboard has got me so sweaty! Well you see, this particular community has been without electricity for several months now! I can be quite comfortable without air con, but life without electric fans is a different thing altogether! I do give my co-workers (all Filipinas) a good laugh as I soak through the back of my shirts, and last less than a minute without dabbing my forehead! They seem to think I'm going to catch a cold from being so damp!
So if you're praying for me, pray maybe that I'd sweat less, or that I would continue to have polite seatmates at the internet cafe!

2 comments:

Chantal said...

fear not dear, the rainy season will come soon and it will only be about 30C. I was sweating like a pig when I was there, I can't imagine what it is like not during the cold season. You must be getting quite the tan! oh and your seatmates at the internet cafe probably love the fact they are sitting next to a white chick and don't even care if your sweaty, Brittney.

middie said...

so ya, the sweating during suturing when all the fans are off so mums cut doesn't hurt and your trying to keep a sterile feild....ahhhh Kim you have good times a head of you...oh and there is a spotlight lamp on over your shoulder so you can see what your doing...