CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 16, 2007

Onward!

Life seems to be characterized by change! It really is the only constant. This weekend I moved, packed my things up one morning, stocked up a taxi, drove across town, and unpacked into my new room at the World Team Guesthouse. I will be living here for the next 3 months (so the plan is), and it is a wonderful spot - a little sanctuary at the end of the day! The house welcomes missionaries and other travellers during their stay in Manila, so new people are always coming through, it should be very interesting to meet so many different people.
I am beginning to volunteer with an organization, The Philippine Christian Foundation, that works to address the root causes of poverty in a couple of the poorest communities in Manila. One of these communities is based on the foot of Smokey Mountain, an infamous garbage dump site, lived on and worked through by whole families. Everyone from the children on up, work there, looking for recyclables and junk that can be sold. Another community is a squatter village located in a public cemetery. PCF is involved in education, health services, livelihood projects, literacy and skills training, social welfare and advocacy.
I really look forward to my time here with PCF, they are in the midst of great need and are doing excellent work on behalf of these communities. The heart is transformation and moving from charity to self-sustaining community life.
In the midst of all the "where" and the "what" changes are the emotional changes. My outlook on the year and on life is different now then when I came out here. I'm adjusting, I'm praying. I so appreciate your prayers. I look forward to entering a new rhythm, and to keeping you up-to-date with more pictures and stories.

1 comments:

Chantal said...

It sounds like they do wonderful and much needed work! What is your new address? Is there a phone number that I an reach you at? Looking forward to hearing about your new line of work for the next few months.