CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, March 23, 2007

Paradoxes

Well yesterday came and went and with it the 2-month anniversary of being here. It seems impossible that it has been that long/short! I look ahead to the 9-months I have left and I wonder how I will make it through, and I wonder what on earth I will do once I leave.
Paradoxes. I am full of them, this city I am in is full of them. Rich and poor; blatant Christian signage and very little faith; a shy, modest people and a culture built on sexy dancing and billboards. It is confusing and it is all around. We are here as midwives, to bring Life! And yet our daily commute, and the place we find the most beauty is in the cemetary. Paradoxes.
In the last 24hrs we have had to transport two of our moms to hospital, we work within the community giving the majority of our care in-home, and many, many of our moms choose to deliver there. But even though we want them to bring life in whatever place they feel most safe, sometimes we have to send them to the foreign, unkind, expensive hospitals. It may be hard to understand but the hospital here is generally a necessary evil, it is not a place that I would wish on someone I didn't like! So when the moms are women you really care for, it is very sad to see them go. But we are here for healthy moms and healthy babies, and sometimes we have no choice.

So we send them and we wait to hear...

2 comments:

Alexandra Michel said...

A little love...

Chantal said...

wow, two months already. i miss you so much!

I hope your women get well taken care of at the hospital. I am praying for them.

love you!