CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 04, 2007

First Steps in Manila

Kamusta-ka from Manila! We arrived here on Thursday and have been settling in and building our home since. We have a wonderful little place in a gated yard with access to our landlord's beautiful garden. Right outside our door we enter the world of Metro Manila; loud, smoggy, many many smiling faces, crazy traffic, curious stares, poverty and wealth side-by-side. It's hard to descirbe this city in mere words, and its far too early to pretend like I really know anything of it.
While everyone is consistantly very, very friendly and ready to help, I must say that I am tiring of the constant stares and commotion that us going anywhere causes. I am a head taller than most of the population here, and I know it the moment I step out of my gate. I hope that I will learn to block out the attention.
On a very, very happy note yesterday I met my Filipina-preceptor and we went full-on into a prenatal day! I know I've posted about a couple other prentatals days that I've be apart of, but this one is different because I will actually be attending the births of many of these women! You don't know the excitement, wonder and almost confusion that brings me! I am so glad for this chance to learn and serve.
On Tuesday we will begin a 2-week rotation through an enormous maternity hospital here that sees some 80+ births/day!!! We will have the chance to see dozens of births, and observe and assist in all of their departments! I have heard from previous midwives that their experiences at Fabella (fa-bell-ya) Hospital has been extremely intense and often heart-breaking. Life here just doesn't play out the same as at home.

  • Please PRAY for me and the other girls these next 2 weeks, we are going to need strength, trust in God's goodness, and open minds and hearts.
  • Pray also that we will be able to bless these precious mothers who need a touch of love, and for our interactions with the hospital staff - that we would learn from each other.

0 comments: