CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 12, 2007

Contrasting Emotions and Experiences

So it has been a week now that I've been observing at Fabella Hospital which means that daily I am seeing crazy, crazy things! Very often I am seeing so many pregnant women that most of your jaws would just drop! They're everywhere, and then there are the postpartum wards which would also makes your jaws drop. And we're continually told this is "slow season" (only 50-80 births a day), yes there are birth "seasons" here! In the last week I've seen 20 something births, including 3 c-sections. I've also been exposed to some really sad things, mostly because the women served at this hospital are usually very, very poor, and often young and, because of the Fall. But most of all God's grace is enough and He is there for the mums, the babes, and for us. This hospital does a lot with its resources, which aren't many. That is to say that you cannot imagine what this hospital is like, or how brave the moms are who come here. Pray that the government would continue to increase the budget given to this place so that they can continue to increase their standard of care.
Starting next week my sister midis and I will be in regular practice here - helping a Filipina midwife in a poor neighbourhood, doing prentals, home visits, labour and delivery and then all the post-partum care! We really have such an amazing job, and what a chance to love these women!
So I guess that makes life very, very good. The day-to-day is up and down, a lot of difficulties a lot of emotions, but I know in a way that I think is amazing - that God wants me here. My roomies and I have a suite up near our practice and are joined there by various cockroaches, geckos and ants. So far no massive scary spiders (thank you to everyone who prays), and I'm pretending they don't exist anywhere! Still waiting on internet service at home.

1 comments:

Chantal said...

Wowzers! I can't imagine all the things that happen in a hospital that size. I wish I could be there with you!
I recommend not checking your bed sheets for insects or arachnids, what you don't know can't hurt you.
Love you!