CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tulips on the Table

I have tulips on the desk in front of me, and tulips are things that make me happy. So I smile.
Coming to the end of reading week I have accomplished a deplorably small amount of reading. Oops. Added to that issue is the part where my computer crapped out this last week, with no warning. Taking it with it all my class notes, which would assist my midterm prep. I'm hoping resurrection is in it's future.
Lent started on Wednesday and I decided to participate. I'm going to try to keep up with someone's version of the Lenten lectionary. But more for certain, I have put some restrictions on my buying habits. I tend to spend my "extra" money on such things as lattes, chocolate and clothes. All "me" things, and all offer me some sense of temporary satisfaction. I am not buying any of them for the next 40 days, and maybe, hopefully far less of them after.
Reason 1: is that they are ultimately selfish things, they don't benefit others, they are me hoarding good things all for myself. Reason 2: is that I believe that the excess of my budget is indeed the blessing and provision of God, for the express purpose of blessing others. And me using it so indiscriminately is actually me stealing it from those God had intended to bless through me. Whether those others are my roommates or the poor, or someone else entirely.
So I am disciplining myself. And very glad to be. It's already hurt on several occasions, and that is proof enough to me that I hit the nail on the head, and chose well this season.
One week until the twins.

1 comments:

middie said...

ahhhhhh I read your lent post with little pricks of my own conscience ...I hope you are continually encouraged as you keep your give till it hurts lent...