CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Lessons From Day-to-Day Travels

There is an attitude among the poor here that I've been noticing lately, that I don't see among any class at home. It is a pride in working, in providing, that exists regardless of the quality or glamour of a job. The working population here fits into two groups, those who do exhausting work, and those who get to take it pretty easy while they bring in their income. But both groups seem to work an unimaginable 6-7 days/week, pulling some nasty hours. Jobs are serious here, and if you're lucky enough to have one you respect it by working long and hard!
But back to that attitude, a quick trip anywhere in a Filipino city and you will see the wealthy in their new SUVs with tinted glass, and the packed out jeepneys with everyone else, alongside the the labourer (trabahador), who makes his living doing manual construction work, or sweeping streets, selling fruit from a basket or super glue at intersections. People here are willing to do menial work, they take jobs that I would cringe at, that I would demand a high wage for, that would embarass me. And the poor are willing to take those jobs and work hard at them day in and day out, and they go home with the satisfaction of having worked hard and to provide for their family the best they can.
In the West we ask our childern what they want to be when they grow up. Here, that would be a luxury. I wonder what the pedicab driver, the street cleaner or the garbage sorter dreamt of in their youth. Life here isn't easy, the middle class and the poor make a daily wage I'm sure you wouldn't believe if I told you. Even those with college educations aren't likely to ever enjoy luxuries. But regardless of prestige, people here have pride and a work ethic I want to learn from. It's just something I'm obeserving, it's part of the privilege and daily grind of being here - I'm seeing things I've never seen in any short term stay abroad. Like I said last week, I'm learning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're learning from the culture you're immersed in and I'm glad that we can learn a little bit from you. We take so much for granted and often aren't any happier for all our wealth. There is something very basic and meaningful in working hard to provide for your family.

Chantal said...

I remember when I was there, a girl from our community got a job at a fast food place and was ecstatic. It seemed so weird to me. Such a different way of looking at life there.

Tami Michel said...

Kim,
Thanks for putting the news links for the Phils, I have appreciated being able to get updated news so easily. I hope that life is treating you well, sweet girl!! God Bless you.

Tami (Alex's Mom)